New Alfa Romeo Spider will be based on next MX-5, made by MAZDA.
Mazda announced on May 23, 2012 that we are discussing the business tie-up of 2 seater convertible production with Fiat. The target vehicle type is a convertible by which Fiat is planning sale by the Alfa Romeo brand. If a tie-up is materialized, Mazda will produce the next Spider.
The development of next Alfa Romeo Spider is performed based on next MX-5 of Mazda. Probably basic structures, such as a chassis, will be similar. However, it is not a mere badge engineering. Spider and MX-5 are clearly differentiated about an engine and an exterior design.
Production of the next Spider is scheduled to be started at the Hiroshima head office factory of Mazda in 2015. I expect the improvement in reliability of the Alfa Romeo vehicle.
First of all, new MX-5 will be released.
- The mass production of SUBARU BRZ and TOYOTA 86 began.
- New Sentra will be a vehicle in common with new Sylphy in Beijin auto show.
- New Mazda6 will be exhibited at Paris Motor Show in September, 2012.
- The compact SUV based on next FIT(JAZZ) will be released in 2013 by Honda.
- Toyota may have to release the 86 sedan.
- Mazda is developing CX-3 of compact SUV following CX-5.
- MAZDA3 Hybrid will be released in 2013.
- EV sports car INFINITY EMERG-E in Beijing.
- Honda price-cuts significantly about STREAM. Line-up will be only RSZ.
- The minor change of LEGACY.The turbo version engine of 86 and BRZ is installed.